• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 14, 2020

    Bodyweight Fitness: How to progress in explosive pull ups?

    Bodyweight Fitness: How to progress in explosive pull ups?


    How to progress in explosive pull ups?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 03:08 AM PDT

    Does anybody have experience with progressing in explosive pull ups? Is this something that will come with practice it much? Or is their some special technique.

    submitted by /u/RMels
    [link] [comments]

    What are some more things I can do to prevent or alleviate muscle soreness throughout the week after exercising?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    So I am relatively new to the "fitness world" but I have been getting more and more into and enjoying learning more about it. With that being said, I am looking (and will continuously look to learn more as time goes on and will come back to ask again) for all kinds of tips, advice, tricks, etc that maybe you can offer based on online information or even just personal things that you have discovered through your own experiences that have helped you. I'd like for you all to think outside the box and list anything you can think of, no matter how common knowledge you might think it is and you might say to yourself "nah, he probably isn't asking about that, its such common knowledge" its still worth mentioning there is nothing to lose. And then also mentioning anything that maybe is a bit more obscure or just lesser known either cuz its information that is more well-known within a tight knit community within wellness fitness people or who knows even pro-athletes, or people who do crossfit or what have you. Just try to think of anything and list it, the more things I have at my disposal the better. These things can be anything from how to "prep" your body before or after exercise, to supplements (esp this just because its more convenient I guess) and anything in between. So I'll go ahead and tell you what I already do and what little knowledge I have that way at least you can avoid listing something I already am doing or know about. I try to do exercise around 5 days a week for anywhere between 30 – 45 minutes (mainly running), and sometimes by the end of the week or even by the second consecutive week I can feel pretty exhausted but much more importantly is my muscles will feel pretty sore so it kind of takes away the motivation or energy to want to do the workout for that day, that is why I want to try and figure some stuff out that can help alleviate the soreness. I have been exercising now since like last September and so my body has adapted and my muscles aren't as sore as when I first started off but still. Some other random ideas that I have thought about either just because I have a "feeling" it might help or because I have come across it online would be to have multiple supplements that have anti-inflammatory properties such as like garlic supplements I think, or I think cumin or curcumin was one of the other ones too. So that coupled with the fish oil I already take might help keep the inflammation down throughout the day, and I thought it would be good to have a mixture of things because you can probably only take so much fish oil in one day. The other thing I have thought about, but this one is a bit more "unrealistic" cuz it cost a bit more money and I frankly don't see myself doing it every time, but I know some people (especially athletes) take ice baths, and so I was thinking about buying my own tub and filling with water and just buy those ice bags you can get from like a gas station or something. Also as a side note, does anyone know something that can help prevent runners feet, when I first started it messed up like 3 of my toes the nails turned all purple and blue and they have all healed fine now after a long time, one of them (my big toe) is no longer purple/blue but the old nail which is still on top of the new nail is kinda being pushed downward towards my skin as the new one grows in, im not really that worried but just want to know of any preventative measures. I already make sure that my shoes are tied tightly and that there isn't a lot of shifting, but I had come across these things you can buy where they are like individual "guards" you put on each individual toe. I might just put a cotton ball on the end of my big toe, but I'd like to not have to do that every time I run, any ideas? Another thing I think is somewhat common knowledge maybe and might help is drinking a post protein shake, which I do but only on the days that I weightlift, I drink one after my workout. But I am not as consistent with weightlifting, so the days that I just do cardio, I don't drink any protein shakes, I guess cuz I want to conserve them for muscle building (weightlifting). Ok, so without further ado this what I do so far.

    I try to drink lots of water (and sometimes Gatorade) throughout the day

    I always stretch (maybe for 10-20 min) before I do exercises mainly cardio

    I take a daily multi-vitamin and fish oil

    I try to take a cold shower right after I am done exercising

    I will take some creatine pre workout and a protein shake post (this is really only for weight lifting when I do this)

    submitted by /u/ShuffledPast
    [link] [comments]

    Ring fit adventure

    Posted: 14 May 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    In this quarantine period after trying some bodyweight programmes on the Nike app and trying Jeff C's perfect home workout, I have now switched to doing the RR. In my rest days I have started playing ring-fit adventure as a cardio-(ish) workout. Has anyone else here tried ring fit adventure and what are your thoughts? I think it is not a perfect programme but for beginners/intermediates it gives a good incentive to move my body for 30 minutes. It has some decent stability/isometric excercises also.

    submitted by /u/Mbyadsr
    [link] [comments]

    How much rest time is "too much" between sets?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    I've been spreading my routine out over my whole work day, so sometimes the rests between sets can be as much as an hour. I'm not worried that this is negating my workout or anything hyperbolic like that, but is it sub optimal? Am I crippling my gains a little bit?

    My initial thoughts are that the extra recovery time might actually be helping me by letting me get more volume in, but I'm not really that knowledgeable about this so I figured I'd ask

    submitted by /u/OchreStainsMKE
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to have a low heart rate when doing body weight exercises?

    Posted: 14 May 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    My stats: 23F/54.3kg/160cm

    I just started lifting in the gym before it closed and my heart rate was always in the 70% range (80% when squatting or doing deadlifts).

    I just did a lower body exercise at home using super light dumbbells and a bit of body weight and my heart rate remained in the 50% range.

    Is this normal?

    I've also been doing intense HIIT since lockdown started where my heart stayed between 85%-95% for the entire 45 mins workout. So I'm not sure if my fitness has just gone up so my heart rate doesn't go up that easily anymore?

    submitted by /u/activesuzie
    [link] [comments]

    Calisthenics Vintage Pictures

    Posted: 14 May 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    Hi guys, Does anybody have or knows where to find old vintage pictures of Calisthenics? I found a few pictures on Google about planche but not so many, maybe you know some other site. Thank you

    submitted by /u/andreacocco
    [link] [comments]

    Full body flexibility

    Posted: 14 May 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a relatively comprehensive full body flexibility routine, and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations where to look. My primary goal is to improve my flexibility for Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu which I plan to start after the lockdown, although ultimately I'd like to be more flexible in general. With that in mind I had a few questions:

    1) I've found the following link to a load of static stretches that looks fairly comprehensive

    https://www.sportsscience.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/whole-body-stretching-routine.png

    Do I need to stretch each of these muscles independently to cover everything? Or do you get "compound" stretches that covers a few muscles at once?

    2) I've also read about only needing to do one stretch per "muscle group". Does this mean there are fewer stretches needed for general mobility/flexibility than listed above? Is there a more efficient routine than simply holding each stretch above for 30s/doing each exercise as an isometric? For example this article (one of the first after a Google search)

    https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19524299/best-stretch-for-every-body-part/

    Only has 8 exercises. Is this enough for functional flexibility?

    3) Finally, should my routine be different post workout than it is on a day where I'm solely doing flexibility work? For example, should I stretch for less time post workout for each muscle/muscle group than I should on a day where I'm focussing on flexibility?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/rob01071606
    [link] [comments]

    Adding Prehab into the RR

    Posted: 14 May 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: The following is only based on my limited knowledge. If anyone has additions, objections or disagrees entirely, please post your reasoned opinion.

    In order to maintain proper posture, to achieve a balanced muscle development and to stay injury-free in the long run, I believe it's a good idea to specifically strengthen the muscles that are often neglected and need more attention. This is known as "Prehab", performed to prevent injuries and imbalances in the body.As far as I'm concerned, the most important neglected muscles / muscle groups are the following:

    - Rotator Cuff- Lower Traps- Neck muscles- Gluteus Medius- (Sometimes Gluteus Maximus and Hamstrings)- All the muscles around the spine, especially the back extensor- Core, especially the obliques (Rotation and lateral bending)

    There are good exercises to target these specific muscles / muscle groups, some of them even combining several of them (facepulls for instance can train the rotator cuff as well as the lower traps if performed correctly). Most of them are to perform without or with very light load, because the majority of those muscles are rather small and probably very weak and the impact on the joints could be dangerous when training these muscles with heavy weights.

    Obviously, most of those muscles are in some way also activated in basic movements like pull ups, rows, squats or deadlifts, but I believe they still need special attention.

    Since many of the preventative exercises aiming to strengthen those muscles are to be combined with mobility and flexibility work in order to let the muscles work without restrictions, I thought it would be best to put them into the Skill Day routine - which would be in-between the strength days.

    The Skill Day routine already contains movements like the Trap-3-Raise and External Rotation, which (I think) already address the lower traps as well as the rotator cuff. But since they are performed without weights and serve as dynamic stretches, I believe that more work is needed.
    The Banded Clam Shell on the other hand actually is an exercise that actively strengthens the Gluteus Medius.

    I'm not sure, but I think the best Idea would be to perform the Prehab exercises after the skill work and before the mobility work.

    As you may have noticed, I'm neither completely sure on how good this idea is in the first place, nor when exactly to train these muscles. Would it perhaps actually be a good idea to do it right before the mobility work? Or would doing so interfere with the recovery times you'd need after a strength day?

    I hope you guys can help me on that. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Checkus
    [link] [comments]

    Bodyweight training for long-term joint health

    Posted: 13 May 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a routine to complement my active lifestyle for years to come. I' love doing sports for fun, in a normal year I do martial arts three times a week, then skiing, hiking, swimming or something else over the weekend. I'm 30F and I've already seen way too many serious injuries among my peers, some of them forever preventing people from lifestyle more active than easy hiking. I sort of want to lower the chances that would be me.

    I do not think we do enough strength training during the martial arts practices, most of the experienced people do extra fitness. I'm not so much looking to improve my abilities (although it would be a welcome side effect), just to keep what I have ehile leaving most of sporty times for the fun stuff. I have been doing some extra exercises like squats or pushups for years, but it was not structured.

    How much training do I need for injury prevention and what? I have looked into the minimal routine, but I somewhat mind that shoulder taps and lounges don't have variants to make them harder or easier, I'd prefer an easy way to adapt a training or even advance a bit.

    submitted by /u/tenebrigakdo
    [link] [comments]

    Bail out on Pistol Squats

    Posted: 14 May 2020 06:00 AM PDT

    Due to the quarantine and all, I'm stuck doing calisthenics at home, and my leg training as basically been Pistol Squats, Step-Ups and Nordic Curls with a few accessories in the mix. Since I really want to up my Pistol Squat game I will most of the time reach close to failure, but never quite there due to the fear of not knowing how to bail out if I can't push myself up again. Does anyone know a safe way of bailing out in the bottom of a Pistol Squat? I've tried looking online but haven't found anything. Thx for everyone who responds.

    submitted by /u/L00WN0on
    [link] [comments]

    One arm deadhang (for heavier guys)

    Posted: 13 May 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Back in 2018, one of my fitness goals was to do a full side split and be able to put my torso flat down on the ground. I trained my stretches every single day, sometimes twice a day to achieve my goal within three months. My ambition got way ahead of my physical capabilities and I ended up tearing soft tissues that sit around at the start of my hip muscles and end of my hamstrings. Up until this point, I was very into strength training and had some lofty goals on the squat and deadlift. But with the injury, I took a huge time off training and to this day I refrain from heavy leg exercises.

    Ever since, I've had my heart set on taking up bar exercises. But until the coronavirus, I had a tough time making the time to go to a park to train pull-ups as I always had a long commute and 60+ hr work week. I'm also not the ideal when it comes to bodyweight bar exercises as I'm decently heavy at 210lbs. But with this coronavirus giving me time with working at home, and now having a home pull up bar, I've become very interested to improve my pull ups and passive/active hangs. Most days, every hour or so I take a five minute break to hang on the bar as long as possible throughout the day.

    Has anyone worked to achieve good time on the one arm deadhang? Right now I have days when I can barely take my other arm off and not fall down after a few seconds of hanging.

    submitted by /u/mastheworld
    [link] [comments]

    BWF Daily Discussion and Beginner/RR Questions Thread for 2020-05-14

    Posted: 13 May 2020 11:06 PM PDT

    Welcome to the /r/bodyweightfitness daily discussion thread!

    • Feel free to post beginner questions or just about anything that's on your mind related to fitness!

    Reminders:

    • Read the FAQ as your question may be answered there already.
    • If you're unsure how to start training, check out our Recommended Routine, or our more skills based routine: Move.
    • Even though the rules are relaxed here, asking for medical advice is still not allowed.

    For your reference we also have these weekly threads:

    Join our live conversations on Discord! We're also on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

    If you'd like to look at previous Discussion threads, click here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative for dips

    Posted: 13 May 2020 11:30 PM PDT

    So I'm 17 years old, 180cm, 74kg and I've been doing the RR for 3 weeks. This week I decided to start doing weighted dips (parallel bar) because I could comfortably do 3 sets of 8 regular dips. I put on a 10kg plate and did 3 sets of 6 but I had a lot of discomfort in the sternum area afterwards. When I was going to do dips yesterday I could only power through 2 sets of 5 with a lot discomfort from the beginning

    How can I avoid this and is it bad to keep doing? Am I doing the exercise wrong?

    Is there an alternative exercise I could do instead?

    submitted by /u/OBtz2kT
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone else tried getting into break dancing?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 05:03 PM PDT

    I started learning how to breakdance a couple of weeks ago out of boredom and wanting to be cool, and it can get pretty intensive. I've come to learn it's pretty good calisthenics. It involves so much full-body movement and a decent amount of strength to perform some of the cooler stuff. It's not a replacement for a lot of strength exercises, but it can be pretty good aerobic cardio if you run a lot of drills. I'm just curious if anyone else here has tried/does it and your opinions of it. I honestly recommend people try it out if you haven't. It's definitely a fun change of pace at least as if you're like me, the monotony of certain workouts can kill your motivation, especially if you are someone who does enjoy dancing or you want to learn how to dance if you're an awkward sheep.

    submitted by /u/ULTIMATE_FROG
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative to pistol squats?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    As many people here I'm stuck without access to a gym due to covid and probably won't have for a long time. I've switched to a weighted calisthenics workout similar to the recommended routine shown in this sub. Now the squat problem, I've worked my way to 4x10 pistol squats then started to add weight (8lts jugs of water) and doing 5x5; got up to 24kg 5x5 pistol squats with a 8lt jug of water x hand plus another one on a backpack. The weight distribution of course isn't optimal and lead to a wobbly way down and I can't see myself going on adding more way to the backpack. I've tried doing sissy squats for the last 3 workout and although I have to say I really feel them on my quads they don't really feel like a squat. The highest thing I trust holding my weight (I'm 95kg)is below mid tight so not the highest for step ups.

    submitted by /u/Ghosts_n_Shit
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a power tower(Pull up/Dip tower) that I can station outdoors(water resistant, stainless steel, etc).

    Posted: 13 May 2020 03:54 PM PDT

    Hey guys, given the current pandemic situation, all the gyms, and parks are closed, so I am planning on buying a power tower to station on my backyard so that I can get some work done and not lose all my gains. I would appreciate if it's less than $300, even though, I wouldn't mind it going to $350 if it's worth the money. I found this one snooping arounnd this sub, but I am not sure if it will handle being outside against rain, and what not.

    submitted by /u/Vaga7bond
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else suffer un-natural fatigue switching from weights to bodyweight for seemingly no reason?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 03:19 PM PDT

    Hey guys, hope this doesn't violate R#2. I'm not seeking medical advice, and I am considering seeing a medical professional, but my reasoning for making this post is just to see the collective experience of a group of people who have a like minded methodology to training.

    During the past few months as the craziness of life with Covid19 has been going on, I've brought some changes to my daily routine. I switched from weight training to body weight "by force" with my gym closing to Covid19 concerns. The training has been fine, and I've been consistent with it. However, since the day I stopped going to the gym, I've noticed a steady drop in my energy. Every day gets substantially harder. While I maybe able to do a more difficult movement, or do more reps for 1 set, my overall volume and intensity has decreased day by day due to a complete lack of ability to push further. As someone who has done competitive power lifting at a point, this is strange and concerning to me.

    My job is difficult; a mixture of manual labor as well as a fairly stressful environment, and I have been working more since Covid started, but the fact that this gradual decrease in energy started with bodyweight workouts is... strange to me. Today, I hit the breaking point. I came home from work, power napped, got some quick energy in me, turned on my workout playlist, and forced myself to begin working out. Except I was so fatigued could only bang out 10 warmup pushups, and my body just began to quit on me. It wasn't an issue of pushing through the pain, it was a legitimate shut down of "juice" to my muscles as I just completely lost the ability to do any meaningful work. Just extreme fatigue. My head began to hurt, my muscles felt like they just weren't working (I am having trouble explaining that feeling; not pain, just un-natural weakness), and my mental and physical clarity diminished.

    Has ANYONE experienced similar energy fluctuations when switching training types, and if so, what did you do to overcome it? Thanks guys, this subreddit has done a tone to help me in the past few months.

    submitted by /u/brandonms87
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment